Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Death Penalty

From the Emmaus Way (a church in North Carolina) blog, Passages:

Hi all. I noted on Sunday night that I am opposed to the death penalty, and gave some information regarding opportunities for folks to attend prayer vigils/protests against the impending execution of Perrie Simpson by the state of North Carolina this Friday, January 20 at 2am. So, I thought I would briefly describe why I am opposed to the death penalty so folks who were interested or who differ with me on this could comment. I am trying to keep this short and manageable, so here goes.

I am opposed to the death penalty based on the intersection of my faith and my understanding of the public policy attributes of the death penalty, as generally applied in the U.S…
It does not deter murder or violent crime…
Vengeance is not a reasonable motivation for public policy…
The death penalty is not fairly administered…
It costs more than life in prison with no parole…
Mistakes are possible and irreversible…”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home